Posted by saviadmin on Jan 11, 2016
Available opportunity at SAVI: Data and Analytics Research Associate
The Polis Center at IUPUI (Polis) is a unit of the IUPUI School of Liberal Arts dedicated to using collaboration, interdisciplinary research, and knowledge of spatial technologies to provide reliable information, thoughtful perspective, and creative solutions for the improvement of communities in Indiana and beyond.
Polis seeks an experienced candidate to fill the position of Data and Analytics Research Associate. The Data and Analytics Research Associate supports data collection, analysis, and dissemination efforts. This involves identifying and evaluating data sources for quality, reliability, and appropriateness and migrating and integrating datasets as needed for analysis. The successful candidate will also assist in the design of data collection and analysis efforts with a focus on preventing redundancies, improving quality, and developing systems to support longitudinal data collection and analysis.
Experience creating data visualizations and developing reports containing descriptive, analytical, and evaluative content for both public and academic audiences is required. Candidates must have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment, work independently, manage relationships with Polis staff members, show good judgment, and seek out support or guidance where appropriate.
- Develop protocols, tools, and documentation to support data collection, aggregation and analysis;
- Continually explore and implement ways to improve Polis data collection efforts to maximize efficiency and minimize the burden on staff members;
- Access and integrate third party data into consolidated databases, using appropriate methods to maximize data quality and integrity.
- Develop performance indicator reports and create data indices for use in research and analysis.
- Prepare standard and customized charts, maps, and graphics for websites, standing reports, and specialized presentations to visually communicate the data significance to a variety of audiences.
- Work with external users to effectively access, use, and share information from these sources;
- Support Polis communications efforts through provision of high quality data, materials and graphics in a timely and consistent fashion;
- Use GIS and mapping platforms for spatial analysis and map creation
- Master’s or higher degree required;
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills required; qualitative analysis skill highly desirable;
- Experience with database management and working with large datasets from disparate local, state, and federal sources, including census, American Community Survey, and other community-level data sets
- Knowledge of appropriate statistical analysis and data visualization software. Knowledge of GIS and mapping platforms a plus;
- Knowledge of SQL. Understanding of basic Extract, Transform and Load concepts is a plus;
- Strong statistical and communication skills and customer service orientation;
- Excellent data visualization skills, project management skills, and attention to detail;
- Able to work independently and collaboratively as part of a project team, and demonstrates initiative.
This position is available immediately and will remain open until it is filled. Candidates should send a letter of application, a complete CV, samples of work that demonstrate required skills, and the names and contact information of three references who have good knowledge of the candidate’s abilities and experiences to Melissa Gona email@example.com.
The Polis Center is located at 1200 Waterway Blvd Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46202.
IUPUI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution.