By combining data from different elements of the criminal justice system, we reveal basic statistics about domestic violence in Marion County.
Some key findings include:
- Reported domestic violence victims fell from 14,819 in 2009 to 10,797 in 2016, while the number of perpetrators rose slightly from 10,212 to 10,362.
- Five percent of Marion County residents between 20-34 years old have been involved in domestic violence cases, either as a victim or a suspect.
- Of the 35,570 domestic violence cases the Marion County Prosecutors Office saw from 2009 and 2015, nearly 23,800 had no charges brought or were dismissed.
- Nearly 11,000 cases had charges dropped between 2009 and 2015, mostly because of insufficient evidence.
- One-third of dismissed charges were dismissed for reasons related to problems locating a victim/witness or getting a victim/witness to testify.